Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Read anything good lately?

When I have the time, I like to read a good book. The problem is that there are a lot of not-so-good books out there and I always seem to find them. For example, I read Bram Stokers Dracula and found it to be tedious and not at all the sort of book that one would think spawned a whole genre of like-themed fiction and movies. Currently, I am reading a book titled Something Rotten and, well, something is rotten; the book. The problem I have is that when I am standing in the book store, confronted with thousands of titles and authors, I draw a blank. I don't know what to choose, who to read next and what subject I want to try, so I go to my default: the North or adventure travel, which usually deals with the North.

What I want to do is provide a place here in the comment section where my millions of blog viewers can exchange ideas about books. Recommend titles or authors; warn people of what or whom to avoid. I know that author, subject and theme are highly subjective, but most of the books I have read, enjoyed and that did not fit into my default category were books that came with a recomendation. So, recommend away!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

In a weak attempt to pull you out of the north for an escape to India - I recommend two books by Rohinton Mistry "A Fine Balance" and "Family Matters." Don't let the Oprah's book club stamp on A Fine Balance disuade you - it was a good book before she "discovered" it and the author. For Hunter, Jonah recommends "Snuggle Puppy" by Sandra Boynton.

Evan said...

I have read both those books and enjoyed them both. I heard of the Family Matters through the CBC Canada Reads 'contest' and not from Oprah and her bookclub thing. I picked up A Fine Balance soon after.

As for Snuggle Puppy Hunter doesn't have that one. She prefers Walter the Farting Dog

Evan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Peta's page said...

rofl at your daughter's choice of books!!! She certainly has taste!
On the more grown-up front, I have read two great books by DAVID BODANISm. first one is E=MC2.... now don't groan because i found it to be a great book and i totally sucked in science at school! The other one of his i have read is the follow up to that called PASSIONATE MIND. it's based on 2 people from E=MC2.
If you would like to read about the Australian outback in the "older" days, ARTHUR UPFIELD is a good author - he has been dead for a while.
Hope these help!

Evan said...

Peta, I will certainly have to check out Arthur Upfield. I'll reserve the e=mc2 books for later. Speaking of the Outback and Australia, have you read In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson? I'd be curious to hear what a 'local' thinks of a 'foreigner' writing about their country.

Peta's page said...

no, haven't read In a Sunburned Country.... to be honest, I don't really like him - don't know why.... If you can't get any Arthur Upfield, let me know.